Sunday, November 10, 2013

Take A Stand

"It happened that seven brothers with their mother were arrested and tortured with whips and scourges by the king, to force them to eat pork in violation of God's law. One of the brothers, speaking for the others, said: "What do you expect to achieve by questioning us? We are ready to die rather than transgress the laws of our ancestors."" -2 Maccabees 7:1-2


There are many people who state their willingness to die for a loved one or a friend. There are numerous brave men and women who die for our country and the freedoms we celebrate. But how many of us are willing to die for our faith in God? How many of us are willing to take a stand for God's law?

I am not speaking about standing up for simply our own opinion or personal preference in relation to God. I am speaking about the moral truths given to us by God through Divine Revelation and safeguarded by His Church. The challenge in our world today is that there seems to be a diminishing of moral truths and the laws of God. There is a preference for moral relativism, which allows for each person to be his or her own truth. There is a preference for that which no longer engages the mind and the heart but limits itself to emotion and convenience.

One day each of us will stand before God and the judgment seat to give an account for our beliefs and our actions. Will we honestly be able to tell God we struggled each day to give our life for Him and to uphold His teachings and law?

Take a stand today! Stand on the side of God and be willing to give up your popularity, desires, accolades and even your life for the ways of God.


"As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 
“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete. 
This is my commandment: love one another as I love you. No one has greater love than this, 
to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. 
I no longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing. 
I have called you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father. 
It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit 
that will remain, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give you. 
This I command you: love one another." -John 15:9-17

No comments:

Post a Comment